the hydrologic cycle Select a lesson
 

The water cycle
The hydrologic cycle
Define evaporation
Define condensation
Define Precipitation
Define transpiration
Define runoff
Define infiltrationWhat makes water hard and soft


RECOMMENDED LESSONS:

Wins Forces Energy Genetics reproduction Ecosystems
Photosynthesis in green plants
Seperation of mixtures
The three Phases of matter
What is an ecosystem What is genetics
How do winds formThe rock cycle
Energy
What is a force

What is a chemical change



Runoff


Runoff is precipitation that did not get (infiltrated) absorbed into the soil, or did not evaporate, and therefore, made its way from the ground surface into places that water collect. Runoff causes erosion, and also carry chemicals and substances on the ground surface along to the rivers where the water ends up. It can cause water pollution too.

Only about 35% of precipitation ends up in the sea or ocean. The other 65% is absorbed into the soil. Some of it too will evaporate.
define runoff

The amount of runoff that can happen depends on:

hydrolic cycle stagesTopography of the land (slopes, hills and valleys).
If it rains in areas with lots of hills and valleys, the water tends to have little time to be absorbed into the soil. It quickly runs down the slopes into the valleys and end up the flowing streams. If an area is very plain and level in nature, the water has nowhere to flow to and tends to have more time to be absorbed into the soil, and also gets evaporated.

hydrolic cycle stagesThe nature (make -up) of the soil or ground.

Areas with soft, porous soils absorb more water than areas with rocky non-porous surfaces.

hydrolic cycle stagesThe amount of precipitation.
Sometimes, precipitation occurs in mild showers over long periods of time. When that happens, the ground in not saturated and the water is easily absorbed into the soil. Some of it too will evaporate. In other instances, there could be very heavy rain or snow-melts, and the water is so much that it floods the area and water will find its own level.


go to previous pageGo to next page

What is condensationevaporation in the hydrologic cycle


...


SEE OTHER REVISION LESSONS AVAILABLE ON ESCHOOLTODAY
CLASSIFICATION OF MATTER | PHOTOSYNTHESIS | FORCES | GENETICS | KINDS OF ENERGY | VOLCANOES
LAND POLLUTION | AIR POLLUTION | WATER POLLUTION | LIGHT POLLUTION | NOISE POLLUTIONECOSYSTEMS | OZONE DEPLETION
DROUGHTS | TORNADOES | EARTHQUAKES & TSUNAMIS | FLOODS | WILDFIRES | HURRICANES | WINDS | VOLCANOES 

Copyright © 2008-2016 eSchooltoday in association with BusinessGhana.com.
All Rights Reserved.